Sunday, December 26, 2010

Pulp Feeling called Love & Dishes Pt 1




If romantic love could be summed up in two songs than Jarvis Cocker has already done it. In college, I thought the lead singer of this band was my ideal man: tall, lanky, glasses, British accent, a great talent for storytelling, and exemplary at splitting smart and witty sarcastic one-liners. Most importantly, without even trying just with his mere presence is the epitome of cool my best friend and fellow Britophile Sarah introduced me to this band. In expressing our love for Brit pop, Joy Division, The Smiths/Morrissey she suggested I check out this band. For about two years, the Pulp album Different Class rarely left my disc man. Jarvis Cocker was rare. He just doesn’t write lyrics he told stories. F.E.E.L.I.N.G. C.A.L.L.E.D. L.O.V.E. was a song that perfectly captured the confusion, lust, and utter reluctance of falling in love. There are so many songs written about love and all of its stages but none that realistically captured the dirtiness and messiness of love. I’ve told all of my friends that I will play this song at my wedding. One of my favorite lines in the song is ‘this isn’t chocolate boxes and roses. It’s dirtier than that like a small animal that only comes out at night.’ Jarvis has such a deep and almost sinister tone. The melody isn’t slow or upbeat. The bass one throughout the songs thumps the way your head would when you are nervous. The song slowly builds and at its crescendo with Jarvis just letting out this gut-wrenching primal scream. Not just a flat out scream but a loud release of letting all the emotion you can’t put into words out.


No comments:

Post a Comment